As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Are you tired of your natural nails looking dull and lacking luster? A gel overlay might be the solution you need to enhance their natural beauty. Gel overlays have become increasingly popular in nail enhancements, offering a long-lasting and natural-looking alternative to traditional nail polish.
In this piece, we’ll discuss what a gel overlay is, how it applies to nails, and why it can be the best option for your natural nails.
What is a Gel Overlay and how does it function?
A gel overlay is a nail enhancement that involves applying a gel product directly onto your natural nails. Unlike acrylic or other nail extensions, gel overlays do not require the use of tips or forms to create length.
Instead, the gel is applied directly to your natural nail bed and cured under a UV or LED lamp to create a solid and durable layer. The gel used in overlays is typically a combination of a liquid monomer and a gel polymer.
These two components react when exposed to the UV or LED light, causing the gel to harden and adhere to the natural nail. The result is a glossy and flexible layer that enhances the appearance of your natural nails and provides added strength and protection.
Benefits of Getting a Gel Overlay for Natural Nails
There are numerous benefits to getting a gel overlay for your natural nails. First and foremost, gel overlays offer an honest and polished look that can last for weeks without chipping or peeling.
Unlike traditional nail polish, which can easily chip within a few days, gel overlays provide a long-lasting and durable solution for those looking to maintain beautiful nails.
Another benefit of gel overlays is that they can help strengthen weak or brittle nails. The gel layer acts as a protective barrier, preventing your natural nails from splitting or breaking.
Furthermore, gel overlays can be tailored to your preferred length and form, allowing you to obtain the ideal manicure for your personal style.
The Difference Between Gel Overlays and Other Nail Enhancements
While gel overlays are just one type of nail enhancement, they offer distinct advantages over other options, such as acrylic or dip powder nails. Unlike acrylic extensions, which require the use of tips or forms to create length, gel overlays work with your natural nails to enhance their appearance.
As a result, gel overlays feel lighter and more pleasant on your nails and give you a more natural appearance and feel. However, to get dip powder nails, one must first dip their nails into colored powder before sealing them with a top lacquer.
While dip powder nails can provide a long-lasting manicure, they can be more prone to chipping and require more maintenance. Gel overlays, on the other hand, offer a flexible and durable layer that can withstand daily wear and tear.
How to Prepare Your Natural Nails for a Gel Overlay
Before applying a gel overlay, it is essential to prepare your natural nails to ensure the best results properly. Begin by removing any existing nail polish or residue with a mild nail polish remover.
Once your nails are the proper length and form, trim and shape them. Using a nail buffer, gently buff the surface of your nails to achieve a smooth and equal surface. Your natural nails will adhere to the gel more effectively as a result.
Once your nails are prepped, push back your cuticles using a cuticle pusher or an orangewood stick. Cuticles protect the nail bed and should not be cut or damaged.
If there are any oils or dirt on your nails, clean them with a nail cleaner or some rubbing alcohol. Doing this lets you be sure the gel will cling to your natural nails properly.
Step-by-Step Guide to Applying a Gel Overlay
Now that your natural nails are ready, it’s time to apply the gel overlay. Follow these step-by-step instructions for a flawless application:
- Cover the full surface of your natural nails with a thin coating of gel base coat. Avoid getting any gel on your cuticles or surrounding skin.
- In accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, cure the gel base coat under a UV or LED light. Usually, this takes between 30 and 60 seconds.
- Ensure that your nails are completely covered by a thin coating of gel color. You can choose any color or a clear or natural shade for a more subtle look.
- Let the gel color cure for the required amount of time under the light.
- Repeat the previous step for a second layer of gel color if desired. The paint’s opacity and brilliance will improve.
- Finally, seal and preserve the color with a thin coating of gel topcoat. Cure the coat under the lamp for the specified time.
Congratulations! You have successfully applied a gel overlay to your natural nails. Remember to wipe off any sticky residue using a nail cleanser or rubbing alcohol for a smooth and glossy finish.
Maintaining and Caring for Gel Overlays
Maintaining and caring for your gel overlays properly ensures they last as long as possible. Here are some tips to keep your gel overlays looking their best:
- Avoid using your nails as tools: While gel overlays are durable, they are not indestructible. Never open cans with your nails, remove stickers with them, or engage in any other potentially damaging activity.
- Wear gloves when doing household chores: Harsh chemicals and cleaning agents can weaken the gel and cause it to lift. Wear gloves while cleaning or other home tasks to protect your gel overlays.
- Moisturize your cuticles: Keeping your cuticles hydrated will help maintain the health of your natural nails. Regularly apply cuticle oil or moisturizing hand cream to prevent dryness and cracking.
- Prevent prolonged exposure to water: Prolonged exposure to water increases the risk of the gel lifting or pealing. Wear gloves to protect your gel overlays when doing activities such as washing dishes or swimming.
- Schedule regular maintenance appointments: Depending on how fast your natural nails grow, you may need to schedule a maintenance appointment every 2-3 weeks. During these appointments, your nail technician will fill in any regrowth and ensure that your gel overlays are in top condition.
By following these simple tips, you can enjoy beautiful and long-lasting gel overlays for weeks to come.
Removing Gel Overlays Safely
In order to protect your natural nails from damage, it’s imperative to remove your gel overlays carefully. Here’s a step-by-step guide to eliminating gel overlays:
- Start by gently buffing the surface of your gel overlays using a nail buffer. The removal products can enter the gel and help break the seal if you do this.
- Soak a cotton pad in gel polish remover or acetone and place it on your nail.
- Secure the cotton pad by wrapping each finger with aluminum foil. With this in place, the remover will be easier to break through.
- Leave the foil wraps on for about 10-15 minutes to allow the gel to soften and lift.
- Remove the foil wrapping after the specified time and gently push off the softened gel with a cuticle pusher or an orangewood stick. Be careful not to scrape or damage your natural nails.
- If any stubborn gel areas won’t come off, repeat the process or seek professional help.
- Once all the gel overlays are removed, wash your hands thoroughly and apply a nourishing cuticle oil or hand cream to rehydrate your nails and cuticles.
Common Misconceptions About Gel Overlays
Despite their popularity, some misconceptions about gel overlays still need to be addressed. One common misconception is that gel overlays damage your natural nails.
Gel overlays should not hurt your nails if applied and removed carefully. They may even help to strengthen and preserve your natural nails.
Another misconception is that gel overlays are only suitable for long nails. In reality, gel overlays can be customized to any length and shape, making them ideal for short and long nails.
Gel overlays may be customised to your tastes, whether you like a natural and subtle appearance or want to explore with strong and colorful hues.
Conclusion: Why Gel Overlays are a Great Option for Natural Nail Enhancement
In conclusion, gel overlays offer a magical solution for enhancing the beauty of your natural nails. They provide a long-lasting, natural-looking manicure that withstands daily wear and tear.
With the ability to customize the length, shape, and color, gel overlays allow you to express your style and enhance the natural beauty of your nails.
By adequately preparing and caring for your gel overlays, you can enjoy beautiful nails for weeks. Remember to follow the step-by-step guide for application and removal and address any misconceptions you may have heard.
So go ahead, unveil the magic of gel overlays, and discover the endless possibilities they offer for natural nail enhancement.